This is the public version of John Klopotowski's book about his studying and playing with Warne Marsh, the first part is biographical (also about Sonny Dallas) and the second part deals with Warne Marsh's teaching.
There are several first-hand transcriptions of Tristano's and Marsh's lines in the book.
John Klopotowski:
"I had the good fortune to study jazz improvisation privately in New York with tenor saxophonist Warne Marsh during the years 1982-1984. These studies and period of time left a strong mark on me, and for many years I thought that both the story and information on the studies were worthy of publication in some type of book format. I eventually started writing what would become the book in 2005 and completed it in 2009.
The book consists of two parts - the first is an account of the circumstances and events that led to studying with Warne, and the second is a description of the techniques and methods used.
I wrote with a few people in mind, and the first were Warne’s two sons, K.C. and Jason. I have long wished that they could have known the Warne that I knew when I was a younger man, and I took Jason’s early advice to make my story personal. I also have always felt that I should share the material with any younger musicians who might benefit."
The painting is by our friend Charles Coffman.
Link to the PDF: https://1fichier.com/?1o0zqwtlqw8pi0hnzrfa

Thank you, Lena. A precious piece on my Library.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Lena!
ReplyDeleteI have a couple of books on Warne but I had not come across this one, so many thanks. He was one of the greatest improvisers in my (not so humble) opinion !
ReplyDeleteGreat thanks!.
ReplyDeleteThanks Lena.
ReplyDeleteMerci beaucoup, Lena! I'm a great admirer of Warne Marsh for 45 years...
ReplyDeleteWhat a great post. Many thanks Lena for sharing.
ReplyDeleteThank you Lena !
ReplyDeleteThanks very much - Marsh a favourite of mine!
ReplyDelete